0 Items In Basket Total  : £0.00
Go To Checkout
View Basket

Blog

A New Town View

Posted on 19 November 2017

 

In the 1820’s Tunbridge Wells was changing. Hitherto it had been a place attracting visitors to the Wells for health and recreation but by the 19th century it was becoming a place for permanent residents.

The changes to Tunbridge Wells in the 19th century came about with the appointment of the young London architect, Decimus Burton. His plans helped to recapture the popularity that the town had lost as a holiday resort by turning it into a desirable residential location. The first commission that Burton undertook was to design a new church, which was built in the gothic style. Holy Trinity Church opened in 1829 and this was soon to be followed by the development of the Calverley Estate.

Quite apart from the remaining Decimus Burton architecture, which can be seen in Tunbridge Wells, we are also fortunate to have some of his buildings depicted on Tunbridge Ware. A wonderfully detailed view of the town from Mount Ephraim was created in mosaic, with the silhouette of Holy Trinity Church on the skyline.  (If you would like to remind yourself of this view, please take a look at the footer of each page on our website). Holy Trinity Church was also featured separately with a close up view, as were The Calverley Hotel and Farnborough Lodge at one of the entrances to the Calverley Estate.

 

These new town views tend to turn up infrequently on Tunbridge Ware. We are therefore pleased to feature Holy Trinity Church on the tea caddy, which is our Object of the Month for December.